From: Sean Conner
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 2:10 PM
To: Lua mailing list
Reply To: Lua mailing list
Subject: Re: Selenophobia

It was thus said that the Great Egor Skriptunoff once stated:
> Hi!
>
> According to Stack Overflow Developer Survey 2017,
> https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017/?utm_source=so-owned&utm_medium=blog&utm_campaign=dev-survey-2017&utm_content=blog-link#technology-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-languages
> Lua is ranked 9-th in "Most dreaded Languages" list:
> 2/3 of developers who are currently using Lua express no interest in
> continuing to use it.
>
> That's quite unexpected.
> Probably, most of SO survey respondents are Lua newcomers.
> What may be the reasons for their "moon fear"?
>
> Maybe, deceptive simplicity (hidden complexity) of the language?

There's some commentary about this at reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lua/comments/60ynhr/lua_featuring_as_9_most_dreaded_language_on_stack/

The consensus there seems to be: it's missing batteries and I can't get
started with it in less than 5 seconds on Windows.

-spc (And there's some grousing about LuaRocks not being as good as it
could be, but there's no details about what is missing from
LuaRocks)