After some thought though, I think that in my short experience Lua is more punishable than Python. Also, keep in mind that constant "wheel reinvention" is one of those Lua "features" you can't simply brush off. You have to write code for even simplest functions that many other languages already have hence the irritation. Add to that 1-indexed arrays and other Luaish stuff. People are spoiled by high-level scripting languages and expect the same from Lua.

Best,
Pavel