[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: Lua and composition
- From: Michael Nelson <mikestar1313@...>
- Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 15:04:34 -0800
I think one poster upthread mentioned something like this, but my 2 cents:
Chaining is not necessarily a good thing: obj:a():b() and more complex
chains are potential bugs lurking unless:
1. This are no failure points possible except in the final index operation.
2. (Needed to facilitate #1) the intermediate index operation are
designed for chaining.
I mostly don't find chaining worthwhile.
Full disclose: One exception for me is multiple levels of table
indexing: local x = a.b.c.d.e where a is a table and b, c, and d are
subtables when they exist. I use metatable trickery to assure the
expression returns nil rather than crashing if b, c, or d don't exist.