> Isn't that like, most, if not all code?
>
> Software licenses are permission to use.

Most if not all publicly available code is released under a standard license. Like, GNU GPL. Or, one of the BSD licenses. Or, one of the versions of the MIT license.

Something so that you can figure out whether or not you can use it in your project about 30 seconds, without talking to another person.

For a long time, all of the code on stackoverflow was CC-BY-SA licensed, which was unfortunate for various reasons. They recently switched to a version of MIT license. http://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/271080/the-mit-license-clarity-on-using-code-on-stack-overflow-and-stack-exchange

If you've got a tiny bit of code that's nevertheless useful, I liked the way Howard Hinnant described his "date" library for c++. https://isocpp.org/blog/2015/07/a-date-and-time-library-for-use-with-c11-and-c14-howard-hinnant

First, he releases it under the (extremely generous and flexible) MIT license. (If I'm not mistaken it's MIT/X11.)

Then, he writes "not generous enough? Contact me, I’m flexible."

This guy gets it.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Charles Heywood <vandor2012@gmail.com> wrote:
Except it's not a license. It's case by case. You published this onto a public mailing list with no license and expect people to request permission from you?

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017, 09:55 Soni L. <fakedme@gmail.com> wrote:

On 24/02/17 12:48 PM, Charles Heywood wrote:
> Right, the one reason we need coroutines is to reimplement the
> standard library. Just as a warning, when asked to produce a license,
> this message was said:
>
> > <Soni> TsT: if you wanna use it, contact me
>
> So... Here's some code that's pretty useless that you need the
> author's permission to use.

Isn't that like, most, if not all code?

Software licenses are permission to use.

Software Developer / System Administrator