On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:
Am 21.02.17 um 22:12 schrieb Dibyendu Majumdar:
do we need a JIT for Lua at all?
No.

I feel that some folks use LuaJIT more as a substitute for C - i.e.
they would have coded in C but that is too hard to do, whereas LuaJIt
gives you almost similar capabilities in a much easier to use package,
so they use LuaJIT as if it is C. What do you guys think?
I see it like you.  If you want speed, use C.

In many cases Lua acts as a glue. A possibility to JIT over Lua Code
and C code boundaries is rather cool. That is what you can get by using
LuaJIT and its FFI, and that doesn't work between LuaJIT and Lua C API.
In that sense, you cannot just say, move it to C as it would most probably
mean "move everything in C". Having low level language like C and a higher
level language like Lua and possibility to JIT between these is quite awesome.

I would say, yes, it is nice to have JIT for Lua. Is it a deal breaker? For many
it isn't.

Regards
Aapo