On 20 February 2017 at 21:28, Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This may be of interest to anyone interested in creating JITs for
> dynamic languages.
>
> https://blog.pyston.org/
>
> Javascript on the other hand has had a lot of success with multiple
> successful JIT implementations.

I don't follow the Javascript space closely, and I always assumed that
V8 was the relevant player there when talking stand-alone JS
implementation, so this got me curious. Which are the other ones? The
ones sponsored by the other major browsers? (IIRC, Apple and Mozilla
have their own JS compilers). If that's the case, it seems to me
that's more of a matter of having major companies heavily invested in
the project (I believe Python performance is not critical for Dropbox
as Javascript performance is critical for a browser vendor — browsers
can't just switch to Go like Dropbox seems to be doing).

-- Hisham