> After some research, I was surprised to discover that os.time()
> modifies the datetime table passed in.
> Is this expected behavior?

It depends on who does the expecting :-)

The manual in general specifies as little as possible in order to avoid
turning implementation details into features. The Lua team is quite fond
of adding pre-features and waiting for people to discover them, so
congratulations on that :-)

Now that it is out in the open, we should choose: do we want it removed
or do we want it documented? I rather like it.