>>The way Lua does it may not be 100% wrong, but it is not the way an experienced programmer will expect it to work.

I disagree, an experienced programmer knows it varies across languages, and can even vary across implementations of those languages and thus safeguards against it.

Knowing that it isn't what you'd expect is really all the info you need. It's why you program, to be in control. Complaining about it is unlikely to solve it.