On 13 January 2017 at 09:52, Daurnimator <quae@daurnimator.com> wrote:
> On 13 January 2017 at 20:01, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Isn't it possible to mimic setfenv and getfenv (inefficiently) in
>>> "pure" Lua 5.3 via the debug library?
>>
>> Well, naturally but the documentation also warns that the debug
>> library can be very slow.
>>
>> _ENV never freaked me out because I never use it ;)  And never missed
>> setfenv either.
>
> _ENV can be a bit weird to get used to, but once you start using it
> you start to come up with nice new patterns/idioms.
>
> However the reason I don't use _ENV more often is I often have to end
> up writing code with lua 5.1 compatibility.

In Ravi I would like to add support for 5.1 and 5.2 backward
compatibility. Has anyone implemented the missing features of 5.1 in
5.3 that I can look at?

I have no experience with 5.1 and do not know how setfenv/getfenv ad
related C api functions should be implemented, but I would like to add
these to Ravi.

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu