It was thus said that the Great Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov once stated:
> > I have Lua itself tell me what version it is.
>
> And I, as maintainer of your package, is thus forced to sed'ing it's makefile
> in build-script to give it possibility to be installed for multiple lua
> versions at the same time, while OP's way works out of the box.

  You don't need to do that.  If you define LUA_VERSION as an environment
variable, make will use that instead of the built-in value.  As a quick
test, you can do:

	make LUA_VERSION="6.1" DESTDIR=/tmp/foo install

and you'll see it will get intstall into /tmp/foo/usr/local/share/lua/6.1/
and /tmp/foo/usr/local/lib/lua/6.1/ .

  -spc