On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:

>> Would you prefer to look for and use one library including all these
>> functions?
>>
>> Or have three libraries with, say, compression, crypto and binary encoding?
>>
>> Or have several tiny libraries (eg. base58, LZF, rc4, md5, etc.)?
>>
>> The tiny libraries might look like the more logical choice: It allows
>> users to use exactly what they want, and it would allow to dispense
>> for some very widespread options (md5, base64).
>>
>> On the other hand, more granularity implies more effort, and it looks
>> a bit (to me!) like these myriads of microscopic modules for node.js
>> :-)
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> I would indeed go for smaller granularity.  And moreover, I would go for
> secure cryptographic algorithms when writing new code.  All of them, rc4,
> sha1, and, md5 are considered insecure.

Thanks for your feed-back.

Regarding security, I am 100% with you! :-)  I use rc4 only for
lightweight obfuscation, and md5/sha1 for error detection. For real
crypto, my preferred tool is my luatweetnacl [2], a self-contained
NaCl library including salsa20 authenticated stream encryption,
curve25519 DH key exchange and sha512 hash.

[2]  https://github.com/philanc/luatweetnacl

Regarding granularity, would you go with 3 libs or with several tiny libs?

Phil