I was premature posting my question as I have worked out the correct solution. Sorry. I’ll post it here in case it might help somebody else in the future.

I had installed GTK+3 using the Home-brew package manager so the path I needed to supply in the PKG_CONFIG_PATH was /usr/local/opt/libffi/lib/pkgconfig. (No credit to me,  I simply applied the solution kindly provided by the Ruby Gnome 2 project team for the Ruby GEM).

The command to install lgi was:

sudo PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libffi/lib/pkgconfig luarocks-jit install lgi

Regards

Peter