On 06/11/2016 10:52, Daniel Silverstone wrote:
On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 00:15:13 -0200, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:

The server which hosts both lua.org and the lua-l mailing list suffered from a
severe failure approximately 14 hours ago which was not picked up by myself or
Rob until this morning at about 7am.  We have worked since then to restore
things and everything should be back just fine.  Sadly due to the nature of the
failure, there are no logs from when it happened so I cannot state what the
cause was.

From the wording above it seems you experienced some kind of "Murphy's catastrophe", like "A rodent somehow slipped in the server room and got fried after gnawing the mains cable and bringing the whole rack down". :-)

Just curious, could you explain in a bit more detail what happened? I was talking about catastrophic system failures to my students [1] last week and maybe this could make a nice case study? Of course feel free to ignore my request if you are too busy or if you cannot disclose the details.

We will be looking to put some external monitoring into place to help us spot
this kind of thing sooner (the machine in question was the gateway for email
so we didn't see any monitor emails until we'd fixed things).

Sorry for the outage, and I hope you all enjoyed a quieter Saturday evening
as a result :-)

D.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

-- Lorenzo

[1] Students of a technical high school attending a course for becoming sysadmins.