On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 9:23 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm having a dickens of a time figuring out what people who know Lua
well (of which there are plenty on this list) can do to answer a question
that seems to depend heavily on the details of some package not required
in the code we can see, nor named in the text of the question.

I'm afraid that the only answer I can give "Use the 5.3 string.unpack
function whenever you need to deal with strings known to contain
general binary rather than pure ASCII or UTF8 data" wiil read as
cryptically to the OP as the question does to me.

​The package is Wireshark API. Unfortunately it is based on 5.2, and string.unpack seems to have been introduced in 5.3. But I do thank you for your help, Mr. Dickens. :)

As for people who know Lua well, I'm thankful they exist and are willing to help someone who doesn't.

Jerry