> is there a module in pure lua, that converts a pdf-file to a text-file?

I once spent a great deal of time, without gettinga s far as I wanted
to, on a pure Lua program that produces Markdown starting from the
XML output given by "pdftohtml -xml".

Among the difficulties are: recognizing page headers and footers;
reassembling words hyphenated at the end of a line; handling
footnotes and citations; recognizing tabular input; etc.

All that makes me doubt very strongly that the desired module exists.