Now it is clear to me, thanks for the answers.

I'm also pretty sure it might be compiler independent (as in, C compiler used to compile Lua) as well but most importantly, there are cases that Lua bytecode is incompatible across environments

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016, 12:29 PM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> >The luac (5.1) manual says that:
> >"The binary files created by luac are portable to all
> >architectures with the same word size."
> >(http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/luac.html).
> >

> This is not the whole truth, the architectures also need the same endianess.

This was fixed in Lua 5.2:

        "Precompiled chunks are not portable across different architectures."
        http://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/luac.html

Karol Drożak

Tox ID: 17D7045E1531DBD09F73E3EF684CCE5D00FF9D6295F7A3F1441B3111F114830BB1BFB79AAD4E