> While I appreciate the shortness of the Lua reference manual, I find
> some of this "factoring" in the API sections excessive.

I think there is a legacy effect. Lua was originally presented
as a C library with a scripting language interface. Gradually,
through years of drift, Lua is for most people a standalone
scripting language. Maybe it is time that the C API documentaion
is relegated to after that of the standard libraries if not branded
"Appendix".