On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 2:44 AM, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:
>> But saw that I mentioned JNI? JNI is the Java Native Interface, used
>> to call C from Java and vice versa.
>
> So what would be the use case? Loading C Lua modules? In many cases it
> would be better to use existing Java libraries.

An ability to load C Lua modules would be very nice for the use case
I'm thinking about. NoteCase Pro (embeds Lua 5.3) has an Android
version rebuilt from the ground up in Java (not nearly as mature as
the desktop/laptop versions). The Android and desktop/laptop versions
share a common file format. We have scripting on the roadmap for the
Android version and if we could write scripts compatible with both
versions things would be peachy keen. But on the desktop we also embed
lfs (lua file system) and two other modules that are written in C.[1]
[2]. Persuading Rambulan to play nice with them might open a lot of
interop possibilities for us.

Best regards,

Paul

[1] https://github.com/starwing/luautf8

[2] http://www.notecasepro.com/download/src/libhttpd.zip (which is a
variant of Steve Kemp's LUA Networking Extension Library with Windows
portability patches. See https://steve.fi/Software/lua/lua-httpd/

 --
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]