Ziplist is not a tar.  It is a compact data structure where all the elements of a redis data structure are stored in a compact data structure.  The data structure is described in there documentation of saving memory.  Just google "redis ziplist".

The motivation is that the memory consumption of pointers dominates small objects.  Redis is that the redis database has to fit in Ram.

About 10 years ago I had to fit lua on set top boxes and analog devices dsp's.  I found that the average size of memory block was around 20 bytes.  I had to develop my own private memory manager to reduce the heap overhead.

The embedded lua project introduced the concept of rom tables to reduce memory consumption.  The redis ziplist concept is a way to implement rom tables.