Hi Sean/List,

I was trying to understand your awesome explanation and I needed to
remove the reference to C as it obscured the intent to inform about
Lua negation. This is where I ran into my previous question. I copied
the edited version to pastebin in case anyone cared (i.e. to put it on
the wiki if something isn't there? I don't know!).  I'll paste it
below as well. I would be very grateful if you could confirm it has
not lost fidelity from the original?

Soni, I have also added your original comment about overriding if you
would like to and more detail?

I also don't have enough background to be able to show tests for the
bitwise operations (all that computer sciencey stuff I didn't pay
enough attention too).

http://pastebin.com/8BSXeE8B

Cheers,

Russ

Equality in Lua is denoted as
==

> 5==5
true
> 5==6
false

> "Mary" == "Mary"
true
> "Mary" == "mary"
false

Lua has 4 forms of negation:

-
~
not
~=

Yet only 2 of them can be overloaded. (Needs more explanation)

"-"
  '-' is numeric negation.  At the CPU level, this is implemented via the
NEG instruction (CPUs that support floating point have a separate
instruction for this).  On the x86-64 systems, you can negate 8 bit, 16 bit,
32 bit and 64 bit quantities.

> string.format("%X",-5)
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFB

> string.format("%X",-0)
0

"~"

 '~' is bitwise negation.  This flips each bit of an integer, and is
implemented by the NOT instruction (some CPUs name this COM, for
"complement"---also note that you can't NOT a floating point value).

  Also note that for a given integer A:

        -A is not equal to ~A [1]

> string.format("%X",~5)
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFA

> string.format("%X",~0)
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

"not"

'not' is boolean negation

In Lua, 'not', 'and'
and 'or' are defined for booleans:

        not a == b

is true if a is not equal to b.

> not 5 == 5
false
> not "Mary"== "Mary"
false

> not 5==6
false
> not "Mary"=="mary"
false

> not "Mary"=="Mary"
false
> not "Mary"=="mary"
false

Also, because only nil and false are false
in Lua:

        not 3           returns false
        not nil         returns true
        not false       returns true
        not true        returns false

"~=" is shorthand for "not =="

Filling this out:

        not ==          ~=
        not <           >=
        not <=          >
        not >           <=
        not >=          <

Bitwise Operations

In Lua 5.3, we now have operators for bitwise operations like and, or, xor
and not.  These are

        &       bitwise and
        |       bitwise or
        ~       bitwise xor (in context)
        ~       bitwise not (in context)

[1]     For any system you will probably encounter today.  There were
        systems where -A does equal ~A, but the chances of coming across
        such a system are very slim these days, and probably only in a
        museum.