> Ah, that's better than what I thought of. Out of curiosity, did you
> pass along the lua_State* to hascaptures to raise an error in case a
> cyclical reference is encountered, or is it sufficient to return zero
> at that point?

It cannot raise errors. A cyclical reference is OK; it will happen with
any recursive grammar (and the raison d'être for grammars in Lpeg is
to write recursive patterns).

As I said, the reason this bug is rare is because 'hascaptures' is
called only after some other tests.

> Also, will there be a new release soon?

Probably yes, at least to fix this bug.

-- Roberto