On Thursday, 8 September 2016, Oliver Kroth <oliver.kroth@nec-i.de> wrote:
I know why i is not in the standard libs: it is not the same functionality on all platforms.

I'm pretty sure there is a platform where Lua doesn't even work, or some of its standard libs don't work. There must be, ;-).

I usually put Lua in a group of Perl/Pyrhon/Ruby/PHP/_javascript_. All of these do have these basic filesystem calls in their base libraries. I do not hear a much complains about them being there. People who use esoteric platforms are probably aware of their choice, and the problems with it.

One thing is for sure, though. If Lua starts accepting new funtions or even whole new modules in its core, we are probably going to see a lot more of this kind of proposals. Well, 5.3 already accepted some core UTF-8 functionality in its utf8 module.

I believe there are too extremes. One extreme thinks that there is alredy too much in core. Other one thinks there is newer too much. I believe also that the first group is the bigger one. Could we just get something added? A few new core functions in each new release (Dirk proposal is a good start), not something like J2SE or .NET Framework.