> Probably, you will see question marks instead of readable symbols on the
> screen.
That's an issue of fonts, not of Unicode support.

> Only symbols from current Windows locale will be displayed correctly.
That's not true. I can display the "snowman" character in Powershell:

Thanks!  I was wrong.
Using "DejaVu Sans Mono" in Windows console significantly increases number of displayable characters.
I see the snowman.
Unfortunately, honest Unicode coverage (~60k chars) is still not achievable by fonts I've found.
(for example, GNU Unifont is rejected by Windows console).