> I was wondering why the Lua Makefile requires a target for each OS,
> when that functionality is something that can be automated in all make
> systems with little effort?
>
> https://github.com/RussellHaley/luasys/blob/master/src/Makefile

While your Makefile may be somewhat automated, I don't think it's any clearer,
but of course tastes differ.

Anyway, the Makefile in the tarball is meant to be a record of recipes
that work. (And we rely on feedback on this.) We also have targeted the
lowest denominator of makes, which is probably close to the original
make by Feldman.