On 19/07/16 08:07 PM, Michael Nelson wrote:

On 7/19/2016 12:39 PM, Soni L. wrote:
Float to integer conversions, especially the ones involving table keys, are considered harmful by a lot of the people who replied to my __key feature request. So instead I'd like to request -DLUA_NOCONVF2I. It should make those people happier, as it removes the closest analog to __key we currently have in the VM.

-DLUA_NOCONVF2I would apply to anything that requests an integer, all bitwise operators, and indexing operations. It should lead to a faster Lua VM and more robust code, as well as a lot more runtime errors.

<snip>
I am not endorsing this proposal, but I'm offering what I believe to be a clarification of its intent in the long term (Soni L. can correct or amplify as needed).

The decisions made in introducing integers into Lua in version 5.3 need to be reconsidered. Integers should be a fully distinct type and should not interoperate with floats. Mixed mode arithmetic would raise an error absent metamethod providing for it. Conversion functions would be available as now, perhaps with additional functions added, and/or some current functions renamed In the case of equality checking as well as table indexing the value of 1=1.0 would be false. The type function would be modified so type(1) would return "integer". The type function call could be modified so that type(1.0) returns "float", although the return value could be left as "number" if the reduction in the amount of broken code is judged sufficient to justify the reduction in clarity. I would prefer the former (given the forgoing changes were made), as a great deal of old code will be broken in any case, and having the types "integer" and "float" seems more clear than "integer" and "number".

Let me quote myself, emphasis added:

--------
Float to integer conversions, especially the ones involving table keys, are *considered harmful by a lot of the people* who replied to my __key feature request. So instead I'd like to request -DLUA_NOCONVF2I. It should make those people happier, as it removes the closest analog to __key we currently have in the VM.

-DLUA_NOCONVF2I would apply to anything that requests an integer, all bitwise operators, and indexing operations. *It should lead to* a faster Lua VM and more robust code, as well as *a lot more runtime errors*.
--------

And also:

--------
Not a troll, just passive-aggressive. *Sorry.*
--------