IMO it would make the syntax way more simple! The brackets are used for table accesors, why not use the same ones for creation?

The not being able to call functions is a good point though - but I think the benefits outweigh the costs. Wrapping those function calls with () isn't too bad....

Or, we could keep the { } syntax for that very reason. It kind of looks like a middle ground between [] and () anyway. :P