> There was overlap between the initial release of 5.1 (21 Feb 2006) and the
> "last" release of 5.0 (5.0.3, 26 Jun 2006).  Similarly for 5.2 versus 5.1
> (16 Dec 2011 versus 17 Feb 2012).

Also, for 5.3 versus 5.2 (12 Jan 2015 versus 07 Mar 2015).
This is typical: when we release a new *version*, we try to do one final
release of the previous version with all bugs fixed, as far as it is possible.

> Is there an official policy about support for old versions, perhaps
> including ongoing bugfix support, and/or backporting bugfixes as
> appropriate?

There is no backporting of bug fixes and no further additions to the bug
list for older versions. Support for all versions is available here in lua-l.

> For versions that are guaranteed to have no further releases, I would
> appreciate the versions page label the release as "final".

That's an idea. Thanks.

Not being a native speaker, I wonder what the difference between "final"
and "last" is. They seem pretty equivalent, but perhaps "final" is more clear:
	http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/68137/are-final-decision-and-last-decision-interchangeable