On 28/06/2016 19:00, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
Wouldn't it be useful to use some macro magic to remove the cast
when the code is built as plain C, so that the code the compiler
sees is conforming both as C and as C++?

Currently, the code the compiler sees is already conforming both to C
and C++.  Why that macro would be useful?

Sorry, I used the wrong words. I didn't really mean "conforming" as "conforming C implementation".

What I really meant was that with that macro you could perform the cast on the pointer returned from malloc only when compiling as C++, and avoid the cast in C, in order to "conform" to C best practices [1] that advice against casting that pointer (as opposed as what you should do in C++), as Sean said.

-- Roberto

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/a/605858/2633423