>> I planned to write about how available XML-to-Lua converters
>> handle this (and probably still will) but instead will just list what
>> is available and my initial experience is.
>
> Try also my lxml:
>         http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/index.html#lxml

I edited the Makefile, commenting out your personal defines and
uncommenting the standard ones. The compilation failed because
my gcc does not support 'long long' and I inserted -DLUA_C89_NUMBERS
as recommended. It failed again because of relocation issues and
I inserted -fPIC as recommended. The compilation now succeeded.

The test would not run because I have the module xml from LuaRocks
already installed and Lua 5.3 puts the current directory last. I changed
package.cpath to just "./?.so". This time it failed because module lfs
was not found. I put a require for that before changing the cpath and
it then ran successfully.

I have installed several of your other modules before (mathx and
complex spring to mind) and we have had a discussion on -fPIC.
So I knew what to expect. You seem to have the same attitude
that I have: anybody too callow to solve the installation niggles
probably will not appreciate the spartan elegance of the software
anyway.

The test output made me so peckish that I am now off for coffee
and a snack, and will only later return to have a look at the xml
output.