> Lua 5.3.3 fixes all bugs listed in
>    http://www.lua.org/bugs.html#5.3.2
>
> Lua 5.3.3 also contains several internal improvements and includes a
> revised reference manual:
>    http://www.lua.org/work/doc/

Is there any intention to deal with the issue I raised in http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2016-04/msg00032.html ? Namely that between version 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 a change was made to the packing behaviour of fixed length strings (pattern "cn") which violates the guarantees in the documentation.  Specifically "string.pack checks whether the given value fits in the given size" and "All padding is ... ignored by string.unpack".

I think both of these guarantees should be preserved, and specifically that for any pack format the following should hold `assert(fmt:unpack(fmt:pack(value)) == value)`.  This currently does for everything but "cn", and did for "cn" in 5.3.1.

Regards,

Duane.