> You can do that without changing the parser.
> All you need to do is to use the upvalues in the
> desired order at the start of the function before
> referring to anything else.

I did explore that option a lot before changing the parser.  It's
close.  The problem I had was that I either had to have wasted code at
the start of the function (since Lua doesn't do dead code elimination)
and I had to trust that the wasted code would never be removed (i.e.
Lua would not start doing dead code elimination).

The flip side was that with my implementation I could also prevent Lua
pulling in extra upvalues I didn't want it to.

Regards,

Duane.