On 22 April 2016 at 15:08, Thijs Schreijer <thijs@thijsschreijer.nl> wrote:
> I had the same issue long ago with the PUPnP library, hence I wrote
> “darksidesync” [1], which signals the main thread using a udp packet (or
> just by polling). Not the most elegant solution, but works and is very
> portable (though I think the Windows build is broken right now)
>

> Thijs
>

> [1] http://tieske.github.io/DarkSideSync/topics/readme.md.html

Infact, sending a packet to a socket *is* actually the best option for
this sort of thing.
On linux, you have a special fast kernel provided file descriptor type
'eventfd' just for this purpose.
In general, you can fall back to using a pipe() or socketpair() and
writing a single byte so that the other end polls readable.