On 17 April 2016 at 11:09, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> After introduction of the systemd init system, a lot of people are
> creating their own init systems. One guy did it in Ruby.

I actually like systemd.....

> The version of Lua for this thing would need to have signal handling,
> forking, and exec'ing. Are those features in place with standard Lua?

FWIW, to build this project I would use these libraies:
  - cqueues: http://25thandclement.com/~william/projects/cqueues.html
to manage your event loop, listen for signals and socket communication
  - lua-spawn https://github.com/daurnimator/lua-spawn to start programs
  - lunix http://25thandclement.com/~william/projects/lunix.html for
other misc things (e.g. pipe())

> Is 5.3 available pretty much everywhere these days? If not, which Lua
> is the most widely available?

5.3 is about as widely available as 5.1 is.
Though if you're making your own init system, you have no reason to be
limited by what people already have. Changing init system is a rather
big commitment.