Thank you.  That was exactly what I needed!

I did re-write the first function to not depend on your stuff (in case
anyone else wants it).

#!/usr/bin/env lua

local posix = require('posix')
local data  = string.rep("a",72) .. "\n"

for i = 1 , 5 do
   local my_time = posix.time()
   io.stdout:write(my_time .. data)
   io.stdout:flush()