Thanks, that was very helpful.  I had removed lua-5.3.

I really need lua5.1 because it's compatible with luajit.  When I have
ports install luarocks, it's pulling in 5.3 as a dependency.

Now I just need to either figure out how to get macports to install a
lua5.1 versions of luarocks, lua-luajson, lua-luasocket, lua-luasec or
build all that from source.

Dan