On 22 March 2016 at 08:34, Tim Hill <drtimhill@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Apologies for the longish post…)
>
> One issue we face when using Lua is coding what we term a “complex” C function (probably not the right name, but whatever). By “complex” I mean specifically one that is stateful and/or calls a significant number of helper functions to manipulate that state. Now, the typical design pattern for such a function is to wrap the state into a C structure (on the stack or heap), and then pass that state around as necessary (much as Lua uses lua_State in its own API). Pretty much a no-brainer I think.
>
> But things get nasty when that state is on the heap, or has indirect pointers to items on the heap or file handles etc that need to be cleaned up when the C function returns to Lua. The problem, of course, is that pretty much all the Lua API reserves the right to throw a Lua error (for example, when calling a metamethod or when out of memory). This abruptly terminates the C function execution without giving it a chance to perform any state cleanup, resulting in leaked memory, open file handles and/or dangling state etc.
>
> it seems to me that at present there are only a few work-arounds for this:
>
> [A] Design the C function to not use state, or not call any Lua APIs while it holds resources/state. This results in very strange contorted code even when it is possible.
>
> [B] Compile Lua for C++ so that it uses exceptions and not longjmp, and then use try() clauses to inject “finally” handling to clean up resources. This of course is only viable when C++ is available, and assumes that Lua uses exceptions in a manner that allows that to work (I’ve not studied this in detail).
>
> [C] Allocate the stateful structure as a Lua full userdata, and then use __gc() to perform cleanup when Lua collects the abandoned structure (essentially a dispose() model).
>
> [D] Have a dummy “outer” C function that then does a lua_pcall() into the (inner) real C function, so that Lua errors are caught and the state can be cleaned up before the outer C function either returns or re-throws the Lua error.
>
> In our case, both [A] and [B] aren’t really viable for the reasons noted, which leaves [C] or [D]. The problem with [C] is the non-deterministic garbage collect (the dispose pattern problem, basically) and the overhead of userdata/metatable/__gc compared to a simple C structure on the stack. Nasty things can also happen if (for example) file handles are sitting around waiting to be closed at a GC. So basically I’m stuck with using [D], unless anyone else has a better idea.
>
> But [D] has it’s problems also. The first is efficiency; doing the lua_pcall() has the overhead of creating yet another Lua stack frame etc etc. it’s also pretty clumsy, and involves chunks of extraneous plumbing code, which is quite outside the usual clean Lua API model. To me, it just doesn’t feel “right”.

> [...]

I'm usually okay with A, C or D.
However there is one exception: APIs that allocate an object for you.
e.g. imagine an API that returns a freshly allocated string for you,
e.g. it does (in C) `return strdup(buffer_on_stack)`

==> How do you bind this to lua?
  - Using lua_pushstring directly would throw on OOM, and not free the string.
  - There is no way to reliably pre-allocate space for a string
(ALTERNATIVE FIX POSSIBLE HERE)
  - Allocating an object to use __gc on it isn't fast or flexible.
    It also changes your coding style as it's hard to share a
metatable between functions.
  - Having a helper function and using lua_pcall is really the only
way I can see.

As a possible short-sighted solution, I merely suggest adding "try"
variants to the functions in the lua api that can *only* fail due to
memory allocation failure.
e.g. lua_trypushlstring

This can be backported to 5.2 and 5.3 via a helper and lua_pcall:

```C
static int trypushlstring_helper(lua_State *L) {
    const char *s = lua_topointer(L, 1);
    size_t len = lua_tointeger(L, 2);
    lua_pushlightuserdata(L, lua_pushlstring(L, s, len));
    return 1;
}
const char* lua_trypushlstring (lua_State *L, const char *s, size_t len) {
    if (len > LUA_MAXINTEGER) return NULL;
    lua_pushcfunction(L, trypushlstring_helper);
    lua_pushlightuserdata(L, s);
    lua_pushinteger(L, len);
    if (LUA_OK == lua_pcall(L, 2, 1, 0)) {
        return lua_topointer(L, -1);
    } else {
        lua_pop(L, 1);
        return NULL;
    }
}
```

However it can not easily be backported to 5.1 (as lua_cpcall doesn't
permit returning anything on the lua stack).