Am 06.03.2016 um 07:26 schröbte Dirk Laurie:
I have a machine on which updates are performed irregularly.
Lua is at 5.3.0 of 24 March 2015, and there is no lpeg yet.

luarocks would not install lpeg, so I reinstalled luarocks.
This did not go smoothly: somehow LuaRocks identified my Lua
installation as 5.3 without discerning that the executable is called
lua5.3. I had to link it manually to lus53.

It then installed, but with plenty of warnings. Here is the last one,
and also the again unsuccessful build of lpeg.

Warning: /usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/pack.lua is not tracked by
this installation of LuaRocks. Moving it to
/usr/local/share/lua/5.3/luarocks/pack.lua~

The reason probably is that you installed the newer LuaRocks with `make bootstrap` (or `luarocks install luarocks`) on top of an old installation that was created with `make build install`. Not sure if that's also the reason for the other problems below ...

Updating manifest for /usr/local/lib/luarocks/rocks

luarocks 2.3.0-1 is now built and installed in /usr/local (license: MIT/X11)
luarocks@boslanser:~$ sudo luarocks install lpeg
Installing https://luarocks.org/lpeg-1.0.0-1.src.rock...
Using https://luarocks.org/lpeg-1.0.0-1.src.rock... switching to 'build' mode
gcc -O2 -fPIC -I/home/dirk/include -c lpcap.c -o lpcap.o
lpcap.c:6:17: fatal error: lua.h: No such file or directory
  #include "lua.h"
                  ^
compilation terminated.

Error: Build error: Failed compiling object lpcap.o

I presume that all this was caused by my too-old luarocks being unable
to install the latest luarocks properly. When I type 'luarocks', it
starts nicely

LuaRocks 2.3.0, a module deployment system for Lua

but the following lines are a cause for concern:

CONFIGURATION
     Lua version: 5.3
     Configuration files:
         System: /usr/local/etc/luarocks/config-5.3.lua (not found)
         User  : /home/luarocks/.luarocks/config-5.3.lua (not found)

The home directory is that of a newly added user, no ~/include etc.

Philipp