>  1. Is it a good thing for a newbie to write such utilities from scratch,
> in the process learning some subtleties of Lua, rather than grab
> them off a standardish package?
Yes, and it is for this reason why I believe Lua is such an effective "newbie" language. Its simpleness and plainness forces newbies to code what would otherwise already be there in a "feature-packed" alternative such as Python. Furthermore, I suppose that Penlight and similar libraries exist for those Lua programmers who are no longer "newbies" in this regard.