> Am 12.02.2016 um 16:52 schrieb Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br>:
>
>>> The manual says "names", not "variables".
>>
>> I'm sorry to be dense, but I don't see what you mean. Is a "name" simply
>> a toplevel variable? Does it mean something more specific here?
>
> name == identifier. It can be a global variable name, a field name,
> a parameter name, a local variable name, etc. All names are names :-)

The manual says:

" As a convention, programs should avoid creating names that start with an underscore followed by one or more uppercase letters (such as _VERSION)."

Is a module, written in C, considered a "program" in the sense of that stanza?  Or is defining a string like "_VERSION" in a table returned by "require" acceptable?