Hello,

And as I don't believe \r by itself is used by any modern operating
system, [...]

OSes no, but still is used --- ECMA Script and derivatives (JavaScript) for example. However, I agree that \r alone is dangerous (i.e. when counting lines of redirected output file containing many '\r's: ``[+ ]\r[++ ]\r[+++]\n''): besides JavaScript lexers, your \r?\n is quite fine in general. Old Mac's line endings are not made by accident --- one must be itching to do '\r' EOLs.

-- best regards

Cezary H. Noweta