Hi Thijs

Thanks for trying to help me solve this problem.

I forgot to mention I am using luarocks-2.2.3-win32

I tried reinstalling Luarocks with the command  install /F /LV 5.1 /MSVC

the MSVC switch doesnt seem to expect a param to point at the specific VS compiler, and it didnt prompt me to pick one during the install process.
It seemed to reinstall OK though.

I then tried running the command shell from my VS 2013 IDE. I get

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE>"C:\Program Files (x86)\LuaRocks"\luarocks install luafilesystem
Installing https://luarocks.org/luafilesystem-1.6.3-1.src.rock...
Using https://luarocks.org/luafilesystem-1.6.3-1.src.rock... switching to 'build' mode
cl /nologo /MD /O2 -c -Fosrc/lfs.obj -IC:/Program Files (x86)/Lua/5.1/include/ src/lfs.c lfs.c
link -dll -def:lfs.def -out:lfs.dll C:/Program Files (x86)/Lua/5.1/lua5.1.dll src/lfs.obj
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 12.00.31101.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lua\5.1\lua5.1.dll : fatal error LNK1107: invalid or corrupt file: cannot read at 0x2B8

Error: Build error: Failed compiling module lfs.dll

Basically the same error. It seems to compile OK but I still get the failure at Link time.

Any further ideas how to solve this please ?

Geoff