Thank for all the suggestions. I think I will try Daurnimator's method
first, since it seems to require fewer brain cells that I haven't yet
exercised.

On Duncan's question: "Are there many other instances where order is
important?"

Not that I know of, but it's for a multilingual program that speaks in
utf-8 so I can't predict with any confidence and need a solution that
others could edit to cover cases I didn't anticipate.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]