> luasocket is old and unmaintained.

It may be old, but it does the job. Are you missing specific functions
that need to be added?

I wouldn't called it unmaintained either: the last merge was done only
6 weeks ago and there are 20+ contributors to the module
(https://github.com/diegonehab/luasocket/graphs/contributors).

> it shouldn't be used for new projects.

I've been using it for the last 4 years without issues for UDP and TCP
operations on Windows, OSX, and Linux.

While we are on this topic; Diego (or someone else with contributor
access), maybe we can release 3.0, even if it's just a copy of the
current v3.0-rc1 code (just update the version number)? I think having
rc1 for 2+ years contributes to the impression of the module being
abandoned.

Releasing 3.1 with the current changes wouldn't hurt either as the
recent commits added 5.3 support and various improvements.

Paul.