Hi David

On 2015-10-13 08:44, David Muscut wrote:
I want to script a query to a SphinxQL server (via the MySQL 4.1
transport protocol). I can query the server properly via the command
line mysql client, but am unable to via luasql. Can someone point me
to a working example of how to use luasql to query a sphinxql server?
Are you sure this is possible? Note that LuaSQL's MySQL driver is just a bind to the C API. When you try to connect to the database, you are calling mysql_real_connect with the same parameters provided to Lua and some default: the unix_socket will be always NULL and the client_flag will be always 0. The driver also does not provide any support for using mysql_options.

The following works:
$ mysql -P9306 --protocol=tcp --prompt='sphinxQL> '
It seems that the --protocol=tcp is important when using mysql client, but I am not sure if this affects LuaSQL usage.

The following does not:
$ lua5.1
Lua 5.1.5  Copyright (C) 1994-2012 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
mysql = require "luasql.mysql"
env  = mysql.mysql()
= env:connect('localhost','9306')
nil    LuaSQL: error connecting to database. MySQL: Access denied for
user '9306'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
return  env:connect('user','pass','localhost','9306')
nil    LuaSQL: error connecting to database. MySQL: Can't connect to
MySQL server on '9306' (22)
As Phillip Janda already mentioned, you are using the connect method incorrectly, unless your database is called 'localhost' and your user is called '9306' :-) You have to provide the strings for each argument or nil:

connection = env:connect("database-name", "username", "password", nil, 9306)

Have you tried something like that?

Regards,
Tomás