> In my mind, the biggest thing that has held Lua back from
> much wider adoption is the dearth of documentation for newbies.

You mean, there should be easily available, preferably online
documentation something like this?

-----
To keep with the tradition, our first program in Lua just prints "Hello World":

    print("Hello World")

If you are using the stand-alone Lua interpreter, all you have to do
to run your first program is to call the interpreter (usually named
lua) with the name of the text file that contains your program. For
instance, if you write the above program in a file hello.lua, the
following command should run it:

    prompt> lua hello.lua
-----