> When I pass precompiled Lua bytecode to Lua using lua_loadXXX
> functions by passing a pointer to the bytecode in memory (e.g. after
> mmaping the file containing the byte code into memory), will that
> directly be used or will there new memory be allocated and the
> bytecode be copied?

Good question. I can't imagine Lua relying on memory that it did
not allocate for itself, but verifying that perception is not easy.

I got as far as verifying that the docs don't say, following the trail
as far as lundump.c, and giving up. Perhaps it's just one step from
where I stopped. Care to give it a try?