Hello Bertrand,

Virtual Programming Environment (such as those based on Blockly) may be better for a 7-years-old boy.

Regards,
Zenk

For me, Lua is the ideal programming language to teach to children because it is easy to understand, has only a few keywords and data types, and more complex features like metatables and coroutines can be completely ignored. It also offers more freedom in syntax than Python.

I was trying to do some Lua programming with my son (in Love2D, a space invader game, he is 7) but I soon realized that the English keywords can make things more complex than necessary for a young French boy (same with other spoken languages).

Do you know if attempts to translate Lua keywords/functions in other languages has been done already ? Or do you think this can be done and how could it be done then ?

Thanks,

Bertrand