I'm using lua 5.2 (local built) on raspbian and it seems that every C module I try and use returns nil from the require.

If I have LUA_CPATH setup wrong, I get complaints about not finding the library. But it seems that even though lua (the REPL) can find the libraries, they don't get initialized properly when loaded with require.

Note: I added an -fPIC to my local build of lua, but that didn't seem to help this matter.

Thanks in advance, I'm very excited about using Lua and it's REPL to speed development on the RPi, but this is a show stopper for me right now.

-- J