On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Required abilities:
>
> 1. Can create a canvas (i.e. a rectangular area on the desktop in which
>    it can draw).
> 2. Can scale and draw images provided in SVG format.
> 3. Supports dialog with a user via the keyboard.
> 4. Runs under a typical X windows manager (in my case, Gnome).

Maybe qtlua [1]? I never used it, but it seems to fit all the requirements.

> My favourite is usually Löve2D, but it fails item 2.

Löve2D is rendering engine [2] and Qt is GUI framework [3]. GUI
applications are integrated into windowing system (e.g. create windows
with GUI elements provided by Gnome such as buttons) whereas rendering
engine can only render something to a rectangular area. Qt supports
rendering to a rectangular area as well.

[1] https://github.com/torch/qtlua
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendering_%28computer_graphics%29
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface

--