On Aug 7, 2015 3:42 PM, "William Ahern" <william@25thandclement.com> wrote:

>   If you were to design a new language today, he said, you would make it
>   without mutable (changeable) objects, or with limited mutability.
>
>   -- Guido on Python, discussing the GIL. See https://lwn.net/Articles/651967/

Well, that's pretty convincing. 🐺 Though I still feel like Lua could benefit from a "copy string from other state" function that can avoid the duplication and rehashing. (Does POSIX provide a thread-safe reference-counted memory block API?) Same for tables and functions, assuming it could be done any more efficiently on the "inside" compared to using the public APIs. Faster/less wasteful passing of objects (especially strings) between independent states within a process would be quite helpful for message passing.